São Paulo, 1928 – Paris, 2017
It was Antonio Gomide who taught him painting and the art of fresco in 1943.
In 1951, after the Sao Paulo biennial, he moved to the Montparnasse district of Paris where he learned the different engraving techniques in the studio of Johnny Friedlaender4. He then participated in several group exhibitions in France, Brazil, Switzerland and Germany where he won prizes. Then he held personal exhibitions in Brazil and Paris, notably at the La Hune gallery (twelve times from 1953 to 1991).
Subsequently, he glued relief fragments based on paper, copper and wood on his watercolors and, in the 1960s, he devoted himself more and more to engraving with a chisel. It is in this art that he reveals his most personal style. The copper plates are cut to form small scales. He also produces jewelry and porcelain objects, notably for the Sèvres factory5. In the 1980s he built a three-dimensional panel for the French Cultural Center in Damascus in Syria. In 1996, he participated in an exhibition with Hugh Weiss at the Gallery Fine Arts in Tokyo, Japan.
After 2000, two major retrospectives of his work were organized in Brazil in São Paulo and Porto Alegre.
His works are preserved in many museums around the world, such as the Museum of Modern Art and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, the Art Institute of Chicago, the National Library of France, the Center Georges-Pompidou and the museum of modern art of the city of Paris. His works can also be found in Lodz, Vienna, Rome, Saint-Etienne, Saarbrücken, Portland, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, London and at the Angers municipal library.